In no particular order and not previously mentioned …
- Making it All Work by David Allen — author of Getting Things Done.
- The Metaphysical Club: A story of ideas in America by Louis Menand — this won the Pulitzer Prize so I tried it, but I could only make it through about two-thirds of the book.
- Ender’s Shadow by Orson Scott Card
- The Falcon’s Malteser by Anthony Horowitz
- The Bible Salesman by Clyde Edgerton
- The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk and Adventure in the 25 years after 50 by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- A Case of Need by Michael Crichton (written under the pseudonym Jeffrey Hudson
- Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz
- The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam — this is a very good book about the Korean War.
- October 1964 by David Halberstam. The World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Yankees. Cardinals won.
- An Army at Dawn: The War in Africa 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson
- My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
- How the State Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein — a good book that makes lots of details in American History interesting. It’s easy to read and easy to read in short spells.
- Boomsday by Christopher Buckley — very funny. Thanks to Martha for passing it to me. I returned the favor by passing it on.
- Play Money: Or, How I Quit My Day Job and Made Millions Trading Virtual Loot by Julian Dibbell
- Building Blocks of Human Life: Understanding Mature Cells and Stem Cells by John K. Young
- Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation by John Ehle
- What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception by Scott McClellan
I also listened to Modern Scholar audio books, thanks to the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Those audio books included:
- From Here to Infinity: an Exploration of Science Fiction Literature by Michael D.C. Drout
- Christianity at the Crossroads: the Reformations of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries by by Thomas F. Madden
- Way With Words: Writing, Rhetoric, and the Art of Persuasion by Michael D.C. Drout
- History of the English Language by Michael D.C. Drout
The best of this was History of the English Language.